lørdag 16. juli 2016

To see the spark of faith


Is it possible to see faith?

Many will answer with an unconditional “Yes!”, because they immediately think of church-buildings and the activity that takes place there. But if we look away from physical buildings or concrete actions, will it still be possible to see faith?

The question comes to me when I read the narrative about the man in Lystra who had been lame in his legs since birth:

He listened to Paul as he was speaking. Paul looked directly at him, saw that he had faith to be healed and called out, “Stand up on your feet!” At that, the man jumped up and began to walk.
Acts 14:9-10
This is one of the verses where we see healing connected to faith. The danger with such verses is that believers, who struggle with health issues, often can feel an extra burden because they conclude that they are not healed due to a feeble faith. Therefore, it is legitimate to ask what Paul saw in the eyes of the lame man. At the same I have to realize that scientifically I will never find an answer to such questions. So when I continue to reflect, I do realize that I leave theology and enter speculation, which again will make some question the usefulness of the exercise. 

All the same:
Both in my preaching and here on the blog, I repeatedly say that faith equals obedience. Did Paul discover a glimpse of the same I saw in my daughter’s eyes when she stood on a tall stone and wanted to jump into my arms? The only thing she was waiting for was the clear shout: “Jump!”

If it was something similar Paul discovered in the lame man, it may well be that this “spark of faith” had been with the man through all his life, but until he met Paul, no one had the courage to say: “Jump!”

'Faith and healing' is a difficult subject, but the responsibility must never rest on the sick alone. I normally say that the sick who asks for intercession has sufficient faith. The same can be said about the one who is obedient and prays for the sick. But for both of them it is important to say and do what the Holy Spirit asks them to do.

‘Manna’ for today:

I want to be alert so that I can see the spark of faith. 
------------------------------------

Ingen kommentarer: