lørdag 2. juli 2016

Who then am I? – a 60 year old man’s reflections

NORSK
Even though I have written reflections every day for more than seven years, some extra thoughts pop up on an anniversary day. Some people will probably question my credibility when I say that I do not really want attention drawn to myself, and much evidence can be produced that will strengthen their view. But I am only interested in attention if I can use it to direct the attention towards that which is important to me.

For “Who then am I?”
- the question coincides exactly with how far I have come on the tour of the book of Acts. A coincident or another example of God’s humour, you can think what you want, but for a 60 year old it is a curiosity, because it is not planned by me.

“Who then am I?”
According to Paul, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal if I do not have love (1), and I do agree with him. Through the years, what I believe in, and what I stand for, steadily has become simpler. That must not be interpreted to mean that I have rejected parts of the faith, but rather that the essence appears in an increasingly strong way. This has lately made me utter things like: “Now only Jesus is left” – and that suffices.

The youths in the nineties had discovered it and wore bracelets marked “WWJD?” to remind them to ask the question “What Would Jesus Do?”

And it was also what the previously so self-confident Peter had discovered on his visit to Caesarea and the house of Cornelius; a revelation he described in this way when he reported back to the church in Jerusalem:

”If God gave them the same gift he gave us who believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, then who am I? Could I stand in God’s way?”
Acts 11:17
So “Who then am I?”

Just an ordinary human being who is loved by God, and who loves God. A man whose greatest fear is to stand in God’s way by leaving him in the shadow or communicate a false picture of him. At the same time I chose to expose the life I live with him in the sole hope to create a curiosity with people who are on search for life. I believe that this life is found through acceptance of what Jesus has done for me, and by receiving the Holy Spirit so that His life is lived in me. When that happens I also believe it is possible to receive an answer to the

‘Manna’ for today:

Lord, let me be an instrument for your Holy Spirit
-----------------------------------
(1) 1 Cor 13:1

Ingen kommentarer: