torsdag 8. september 2016

It is about a triune image

NORSK
Another interesting aspect of being created in the image of God, is the fact that he is a triune God. If we believe in a triune God, a logic consequence must be that I am a triune man – but I am still "one", like God is still "one". I have found it helpful to use this illustration when I teach the doctrine of holiness:


,

Thomas Aquinas wrote: “They who say that with regard to the true belief it is completely irrelevant what one says about the creature as long as one has the right belief with regard to God, is clearly mistaken. Because, if one is mistaken with regard to the creature the consequence is that one is mistaken also with regard to God.” (1)

We know that man is created with body, soul and spirit (2).
In our soul we find our personality, intellect, emotions and will – I like to say that my soul is the seat of my self-consciousness

I only need to move my knee to be aware of the fact that I have a body - I do not need to pinch my arm any more. My body is the seat of my world-consciousness because it is by the means of my physical body I relate to this world.

But when I decided to follow Jesus, I became constantly more aware of the fact that I have a spirit, simply because I know that his Spirit lives in my spirit. The spirit of man will always long for God, and if a gospel is not preached or received, this urge will make man create a god in his own image.


Having accepted salvation through what Jesus did for us on Calvary and having received his Spirit in our spirit, we know the experience of harmony, integration and love which is also the character of a triune Godhead. Any atempt to explain God will only be a human effort to grasp the unexplainable, but I like the phrase: My spirit is the seat of my God-consciousness.

'Manna' for today:
His Spirit in my spirit!
------------------------------
(1) My translation of Thomas Aquinas: ”Order and Mystery” Oslo 1964, p 31
(2) May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Thess 5:23

Ingen kommentarer: