tirsdag 6. september 2016

It is about a variety of images

NORSK
I have already reflected on some symbols or images of the Holy Spirit. Many are yet to be mentioned. Here are just a few examples:
  • The Dove – was taken as a strong confirmation of the Holy Spirit’s presence over the life of Jesus when he was baptized by John the Baptist (1).
  • The New Wine – is another image of the Holy Spirit. It is likely that I will write more about this image later in the series (2).
  • The Living Water – as described by Jesus (2) and (3).
  • The Sacred Anointing Oil – I promise that I will write more about this in several entries during the autumn. For me “anointing” together with “language” are among the strongest images of the Holy Spirit.
I take the following verse as a confirmation of my last claim.
But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and all of you know the truth.
1 John 2:20 
The mission of the Holy Spirit is to make Jesus known – and because they are “one” a better knowledge of Jesus will lead to a better knowledge of the Spirit. The two persons will always mutually confirm one another.

‘Manna’ for today:

Images are used to make Jesus better known!
Tomorrow I will continue with “My image” – does that make Jesus known?
----------------------------------------------------------
(1) Then John gave this testimony: “I saw the Spirit come down from heaven as a dove and remain on him. And I myself did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, ‘The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.’ I have seen and I testify that this is God’s Chosen One.” John 1:32-34
(2) An early entry in this series: “It is about drinking...” relates to this theme.
(3) On the last and greatest day of the festival, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, “Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.” By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified. John 7:37-39

Ingen kommentarer: