søndag 13. november 2016

It is about burning passion

NORSK
When I started training to become an officer in October 1974, the concept of 'passion' connected to the suffering of Christ was new to me. In my mother tongue, we refer to the Calvary story as the “Narrative of Christ’s suffering”

The word passion broadened my understanding, because passion describes more than suffering. It describes something that is so important that everything else become subordinate – even if the cost means suffering and death.

I am still reflecting on the subject of holiness and fruit. The pursuit of holiness and fruit was definitely a passion for Paul, and he is literally boundless in his passion:

Now I do not want you to be unaware, brethren, that I often planned to come to you (but was hindered until now), that I might have some fruit among you also, just as among the other Gentiles.
Rom 1:13

There should be many more hindrances for Paul before he finally arrived in Rome. The Holy Spirit warned him against all the suffering that awaited him in Jerusalem (1), but I believe Paul saw that the way to Rome went through Jerusalem. He was passionate to see fruit in Rome, and ready pay the price at any cost.

Several facts suggest that Paul was passionate by nature. His persecution of the Christians before he met Christ on the road to Damascus, confirms this. However, it is beyond doubt that his experience of transformation was the motivation of the ‘new’ passion. Paul’s human nature would have given up under all suffering he had to endure (2).

I know disciples, whose human nature would not be associated with “passion”, but who by the Holy Spirit have been transformed into passionate “fire-torches”.

‘Manna’ for today:

Holiness and fruit bearing presuppose passion
--------------------------------------------
(1) Acts 19:21 and Acts 21:10-13
(2) 2 Cor 11:23-19

Ingen kommentarer: