onsdag 18. januar 2017

Keep a close watch on yourself

NORSK
An important part of a Christian mentor’s task is to build independence in such a way that the only dependence his disciple has, is his relationship with Jesus Christ. Paul was aware of this:
Keep a close watch on yourself and on the teaching. Persist in this, for by so doing you will save both yourself and your hearers.
1 Tim 4:16
Sometimes I get messages from people who feel that other people have failed them, and sometimes that a whole congregation has let them down. Unfortunately, it happens that I have to agree with their assessment. That is sad, but it is even sadder that many who encounter such an experience end up failing their own values, their beliefs and thus end up failing themselves. 

Paul knew from experience that young Timothy would face situations where people would let him down. Therefore, he encouraged Timothy to keep a close watch on himself and make sure he was steadfast both in his salvation and his teaching.

I think this is important for all believers, and especially if I am conscious of my position as a role model. How I teach and live is not any longer a "private matter" between me and the Lord. It has become an influence that can cause people to either being attracted or offended by the faith I represent. So an exhortation to ‘keep a close watch on myself’ has nothing to do with an ego trip.

‘Manna’ for today:

Lord, help to keep a close watch on myself!
---------------------------------------------

Ingen kommentarer: