onsdag 15. februar 2017

What kind of vessel am I?

NORSK
In English, the word vessel can give different associations. In my early childhood, I lived close to the sea and when I watched the boats I used to wonder what kind of vessel I was. 

The reason for this pondering was one of the Sunday School Choruses we used to sing. It was about a small vessel on the big sea, and the importance of having Jesus by the rudder. It is a good image, and the same can be said about this meaning of vessel:
But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay, some for honor and some for dishonor. Therefore if anyone cleanses himself from the latter, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified and useful for the Master, prepared for every good work.
2 Tim 2:20-21
Once again Paul is using an image he has used before:
But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us.
2 Cor 4:7
Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor?
Rom 9:21
Paul is not the only writer in the Bible using this image. Jeremiah’s visit to the Potter’s house is may be even better known.

The idea that God shapes me throughout my life, so that I will become increasingly useful in His kingdom, is an awesome thought. If this earthen vessel in its frailty makes it evident that the excellence of the power is from God, and not from me, it is indeed worth more than gold.

‘Manna’ for today:

A vessel prepared for every good work
-------------------------------------------

Ingen kommentarer: