torsdag 30. mars 2017

Knowing the value of my soul - a step on the journey



If my soul is worth more than the whole world, the same value must also apply to every individual soul. It means that the soul is irreplaceable, and Jesus put it all in perspective:
What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?    
I do not know if the Norwegian artist Ole Paus was thinking about this verse when he several years ago said: ‘We have it all, but that's all we have’. Anyway it belongs in under the same label, and at least two prime-ministers have used the quote in their sermons to the nation. The theme is familiar and it appears frequently in old evangelical songs, like “I'd rather have Jesus than silver or gold; I'd rather be His than have riches untold”

Jesus himself had to resist the temptation (1), and preserved his soul through worshiping and serving the Lord God. Materialism has a huge influence on us humans, and unfortunately a Christian confession does not always include the virtue of "godliness with contentment". When Paul wrote on this subject to Timothy, he warned even against those who 'believe godliness is a means of gain' (2).

With all my heart I want to quote:

'Manna' for today
 My soul is not for sale!
----------------------------------------
(1) Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendour. “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.”

Ingen kommentarer: