fredag 24. mars 2017

Knowing when to remain silent - a step on the journey

"There is a time for everything", the ecclesiastic wrote and then followed a tirade of opposites such as the following:

“a time to be silent and a time to speak”
Eccl 3:7b
Most likely I was more inclined to overspend the time to speak in the past, and I was probably regarded as rather ascetic in my use of the time to be silent. However, I have become more conscious of the importance of taking a deep breath and testing out the art of listening rather than speaking. Sometimes I succeed, but not always.

After Jesus had affirmed Peter and told that his confession was right, he came with an exhortation that must have seemed strange for his disciples:

Then he ordered his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Messiah.
Matt 6:20
A couple of days back, I stated that it is important for others that I confess who Jesus is. Therefore, it may seem a little strange that Jesus came with this message.

The quote from Ecclesiastes is part of the explanation. It was important for Jesus to 'buy time'. Jesus knew that the scope of time he had to teach his disciples about what would happen in Jerusalem, was limited. If the disciples began to spread the news that Jesus is the Messiah, he could risk being stoned before they reached Jerusalem. I think the simple explanation is that Jesus needed every minute of the journey to the preparation and teaching of the disciples. In a few days’ time, I will return time set aside to speak.

Today I am reminded about how important it is to listen to what the Lord says when it comes to art of being silent.

‘Manna’ for today:

God, tell me when it is right to remain silent!
-------------------------------------
* Something made me silent even when I was young

Ingen kommentarer: