tirsdag 7. mars 2017

So blessed humanly ...

NORSK
It may sound strange, but Paul’s request to Timothy in today’s verse contributes greatly to enhance the Bible’s credibility for me:
When you come, bring the cloak that I left with Carpus at Troas, and my scrolls, especially the parchments.
2 Timothy 4:13
The credibility is not undermined by Paul's intense frustration over Alexander the metalworker who caused a lot of harm, because it confirms how very human Paul was – and it makes me glad. I tend to forget things when I'm traveling, so I really hope that Paul forgot his cloak in Troas. It is a comfort for me simply because I forget Bibles, clothes, yes, even my accordion ... and I love books, so I associate with Paul’s wish also to have his scrolls at hand.

It is precisely these human factors that make the Bible so credible. These small matters, that do not really matter are not deleted in editing. The same applies when the authors of the Gospels describe how slow the disciples were to grasp Jesus’ mission and purpose. Nothing has been altered to make the disciples ‘look better’. Their very human contribution confirms the "ongoing" incarnation. Jesus is present in the world through ordinary people who forget, who need good friends around them and who get annoyed of frustrated over people who cause harm ...

‘Manna’ for today:

I believe the Bible
------------------------------------
(1) Where on earth did I forget that accordion?

Ingen kommentarer: