torsdag 2. mars 2017

Sober in all that I do?

As a soldier of the Salvation Army, I have taken a total abstinence pledge, and as far as I know, I have never broken that promise. Therefore, I have never been intoxicated by ingesting intoxicants that have not been prescribed by a doctor. 

However, I have several times experienced the presence of the Holy Spirit in such a way that it has become a kind of intoxication. It has been a strange, but good experience.

Some years ago I participated in a series of meetings, where the keynote speaker instructed the intercessors to remain "sober" while they took part in the prayer-ministry. I understood what he meant, and see the importance. There is a time for everything (1).

Paul has a similar charge to Timothy:

But you, be sober in all things, suffer-hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfil your ministry.
2 Tim 4:5
In translations of the Greek original other words than sober are commonly used, like e.g. vigilant, watchful, in control, remain steady, clear-headed etc. The main idea is that I am charged to be present in my own life, in my work and in my ministry.

I have repeatedly pointed out that the first question God asked Adam after the fall was: “Where are you?” (2). If I can be available and respond “Here I am” when God calls, I will be very close to fulfilling the charge given in today's verse.

‘Manna’ for today:

‘Here I am’ – sober and available!
--------------------------------------
(1) Eccl 3:1
(2) Gen 3:9

Ingen kommentarer: