mandag 13. mars 2017

What is the most special aspect of Jerusalem?

NORSK
Yesterday I started on the trek ‘up to Jerusalem’ as a preparation for Easter.
Actually, all the reflections for this period could have been linked to Jerusalem's unique position as the most important religious capital of the world. 


If the question in today's headline was given in a survey, I would not be surprised if the uniqueness as religious capital would receive the majority vote. 

Still, I want to focus on something else; however, I cannot claim to sit with the correct answer, if there is correct answer to the question. 


I remember very well the strong impression Psalm 87 made on me when I was preparing my messages for a tent-campaign in Lyngdal in the early 90s. The Psalm has only seven small verses, but I think it contains an important prophecy about the new birth:
And of Zion it is said:
“Each person was born in it,
but the one who will establish it is the Most High.”

Psalm 87:5
I think this is the most special aspect of Jerusalem. That was the reason why Jesus had to go up to Jerusalem. It was there that the foundation for the new birth had to be laid. The next few days I will try post reflections to substantiate this claim.

‘Manna’ for today:

I have never been in Jerusalem, but I was born there! (1)
--------------------------------------------------------
(1) May be you will make the same claim when you have read the entire Psalm:
God’s foundation is set on the holy mountains.
2 The Lord loves Zion’s gates
more than all of Jacob’s houses combined.
3 Glorious things are said about you,
the city of God! Selah
4 I count Rahab and Babel among those who know me;
also Philistia and Tyre, along with Cush—
each of these was born there.
5 And of Zion it is said:
“Each person was born in it,
but the one who will establish it is the Most High.”
6 The Lord makes a record as he registers the peoples:
“Each one was born there.” Selah
7 And while they dance, people sing:
“The source of my life comes from you.” 
Psalm 87

Ingen kommentarer: