lørdag 22. april 2017

Hope for those doubting! - a time for everything *

NORSK
Yesterday I read how Tomas had challenged the absent Jesus in front of his friends. Eight days later, the challenge came back to Tomas in the presence of the same group:
Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”
John 20:27
I think I would had felt some embarrassment if it had happened to me. However, at the same time I would have been happy:
“Jesus heard me in spite of my disbelief!”
It is also a confirmation of the fact that Jesus cares about the individual. A personal meeting took place in the middle of the crowd. He saw “me”!
 

Perhaps the experience of being seen by him is more important than seeing “him”?

This 'thought' must not be interpreted as though I am opposed to seeking the presence of the Lord to 'see' him. It is important for me and all who believe to do so. Nonetheless, seeing him must have a consequence. It was the lack of obvious consequences of their faith that made Tomas doubt the disciples’ testimony about the risen Jesus (1).

May be John included the story of Tomas to show that it was not only John himself who felt that he was “the disciple Jesus loved” or the “disciple Jesus saw” – Thomas must have felt that way too. And that is how it should be - particularly for those who struggle to believe. Jesus loves them just as much as they who feel affirmed in their faith.

‘Manna’ for today:

Jesus loves all who are honest - also with regard to doubting and believing.
------------------------------------
(1) See: “Think afresh? A time for everything”
* 'A time for everything' is connected with the Bible's teaching about a 'season for every activity' Eccl 3 This series is about the teaching in the time between Easter and Pentecost.

Ingen kommentarer: