lørdag 20. mai 2017

The promise of the Father – a time for everything *

NORSK
This is the fourth time I quote the same verse in this series, and I guess it will be the last for now:
And look, I am sending the promise of My Father upon you. Luke 24:49a
I love to be reminded of God's promises. It strengthens the faith to see the fulfillment of the promises in the Bible. It is likely that the promise Jesus was referring to is the same Peter used when he spoke to the great crowd on the day of Pentecost: “This is what was spoken by the prophet Joel: ‘In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people.” (1).

Thus Jesus repeated the promise and Peter did the same when he came to the end of his speech. He urged the audience to repent and receive forgiveness for sins, followed by the promise:

“And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.”
Acts 2:38b-39
Therefore, the promise applies to all who receive the call – even we who are ‘far off’ many generations later. I know it is true because I have experienced it myself.

‘Manna’ for today:

For he who gave the promise is faithful. (2)
-------------------------------------------------- -
(1) Acts 2:16-17a, which is taken from Joel 2:28-29
(2) Hebr 10:23b
'A time for everything' is connected with the Bible's teaching about a 'season for every activity' Eccl 3 This series is about the teaching in the time between Easter and Pentecost

Ingen kommentarer: